“Trust the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths.” – Proverbs 3:5-6
What does it mean to be a Roman Catholic? While different people may offer varied answers, there are three truths that are at the heart of every Catholic – a belief in God, our Father, Jesus Christ, His Son and the Holy Spirit. This undeniable truth and belief in The Trinity is one of the Ten Foundational Beliefs of Catholicism.
- Catholics believe in a God of grace, meaning that we believe God is always with us, even within us, throughout our lives.
- Catholics believe in a God who exists in three divine persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the Trinity.
- Catholics see the seven Sacraments as special gifts from God, sources of grace.
- Catholics believe that Scripture (the Holy Bible) is the inspired word of God.
- Catholics believe in the long and rich tradition of the Catholic Church led by the Pope who is seen as the successor to the apostle Peter.
- Catholics believe that Saints are people who serve as a model of faith for us to follow.
- One of the primary ways Catholics practice their belief is through public and private prayer, including the Mass, sacraments, Eucharistic Adoration, and more.
- Catholics are guided by moral truths taken from Scripture and tradition, namely the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes.
- Catholics actively follow Christ’s teaching by acting on the Catholic Social Teaching which encourages us to ensure the basic rights and dignity of all people in our world.
- Catholics believe together we form a Community of Believers, the Body of Christ, and bring our faith to life by the way we act, pray and worship.
Catholic belief is succinctly expressed in the profession of faith or credo called the Nicene Creed:
The Nicene Creed
I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father,
through him all things were made.
For us men and our salvation
He came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
He suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance wit the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen